One of the easiest ways to update the exterior of your home is by painting your front door. If you’re following me on Pinterest, you’ve been seeing some of the fantastic front door posts on my For the Home board. A couple of coats of paint can make a huge difference in the appearance of your home. Add some fresh plants and door hardware, and you’re on your way to a whole new look!
If you’re considering a front door makeover, you should keep in mind that different paint colours work best with different door styles and home styles. For example, while a bubblegum pink front door would look out of place on a traditional home, it would be well-suited to an all-white beach cottage.
Here are 7 front door colours that I love:
1. Grey Green Front Door. There’s something so soothing about a soft grey green. On a front door, grey green is a classic colour. The key with this hue is to keep it light. Any darker and this door would look like something out of the late eighties/early nineties. Some brass hardware and a stand-out door knocker make this a lovely entrance. Interesting to note: The door handle on this door is in the centre of the door.
img src lizmarieblog
2. Navy front door with painted sidelights. When it comes to a front door with sidelights, there are several differing opinions about whether or not you should paint all parts of the door, especially the border of the sidelights and door window. My personal preference is for just the door to be painted (unlike the sidelights in the image above), so it really stands out. Navy is a fantastic front door colour, and looks fantastic on a home finished with a neutral stone or siding. (If you’re looking for a great blue, try Benjamin Moore’s Hale Navy.)
img src Kyrapg
3. Navy front door with white side lights. You saw in the example above the look of a navy blue front door with painted sidelights to match, and here is an example of a navy front door with the sidelights left white. While the style of door is different, you get the picture. The home owner paid special attention to detail and added a brass sweep and sill. I also love how well ferns and other green plants work with a blue front door! Very fresh.
img src kylieminteriors
4. Solid wood front door. There’s something very traditional about a solid wood front door. Finished in a classic stain, a wooden front door is timeless. While some may think wood is boring, I beg to differ! A solid wood front door is incredibly interesting, especially when highlighted with some bright florals to make the look pop. If you’re looking for a door that’s less maintenance than solid wood but provides a similar look, there are some great alternatives out there.
img src daisymaebelle
5. Black front door. Some say black looks too ominous, others say if it’s not painted in just the right hue that a black door looks like a black hole. I think that a black front door is very appealing, especially on a brick home that’s traditionally built. Case in point? Check out the photo above. Classic black, with brass accents, and side urns with florals do the colour talking. I especially love how the home owners left the transom a neutral off-white. This really makes the door pop!
img src Southern Living
6. Deep green front door. Looking very French countryside, this dark deep green works well on a home that’s otherwise mostly neutral. Complemented on either side by two wooden plantars with boxwoods, I love how this door is so simple and void of any decoration, but still so appealing. The stone work on the steps and patio, the lovely hanging lattern, and the white window sidelights on either side make this deep green front door one for serious consideration.
img src blessmyweeds
7. Red front door. There’s something so captivating about the colour red. Always a classic, a red front door really stands out when set against a neutral brick, stone, or siding. Many people believe that front doors should be bright and vibrant accents that stand out, and a painted red front door certainly does just that! With brass accents and more traditional sidelights and an eyebrow transom, this front door is nothing short of fantastic.
img src mariakillam
For more home design inspiration, be sure to follow me on Pinterest!