For the Home | 6 Essentials to Create a Comfortable Sitting Area
After a long day at work, there’s little that compares to comfort of a big cuppa tea, my favourite chair, and a good book or conversation. Wes and I love good books and conversation, and one of our favourite past times is taking time to just sit and talk or read a good book in one of the sitting areas in our home.
If you’re looking to create a sitting area, or re-evaluating an existing room in your home, I’d highly encourage you to consider investing in two high-quality chairs. Create yourself a niche that will work to decompress and inspire; an area that will help you unwind and regroup.
Creating a comfortable sitting area doesn’t have to be overly complicated. Head on over to my Pinterest page if you’re looking for inspiration and ideas for your living area. As long as you include the basics, you can create an enviable sitting area and living space. In fact, there are 6 essential pieces to include when creating a sitting area in your home:
1. The right chair. Sitting areas are called sitting areas for a reason: They’re meant to have chairs, and they’re meant to be sat in and enjoyed. In order to accomplish this, you need the right pair of chairs! Wes and I are fans of the classic wingback, but depending where in your home you’re looking to create a sitting area, you may consider a club chair, a slipper chair, or even a chaise lounge.
2. Natural Lighting. When you’re creating a comfortable sitting area in your home, natural light is essential. There’s something so soothing about sitting down in a chair and being able to enjoy and soak up natural light. Some of the best sitting areas are strategically designed beside large windows that draw the light inside.
3. A good lamp. Sitting areas are meant to enjoyed at all times of day, and no matter how large your windows and no matter how much natural light gets in, you’ll want to invest in a high quality light piece — whether a floor lamp or table lamp — to provide some direct, warm light. Trust me, especially if you’re a reader, a good lamp is an essential component to any sitting area.
4. Supportive cushions. If you’re planning to watch a good hour of TV, or you’re chapters-deep into a good book, a supportive chair cushion can work wonders to provide comfort (and lower back support!) in a sitting area. The great thing about cushions is that they’re affordable, and you can change up the entire theme of a sitting area by switching out the cushions!
5. A side table. For your book, for your drink, or even for a box of tissues, sitting areas aren’t complete without a solid side table. Pro tip: Choose a ‘table’ that can act as extra seating should you have guests over.
6. The right ottoman. No sitting area is complete without the right ottoman on which to rest your feet. If you can invest in a piece that matches the chairs in your sitting room, I’d highly encourage it; the extra cost is worth it in the long run, and your feet will thank you.
Sitting areas don’t have to be hard to create! As long as your sitting area contains the six essentials above, you’re set! If you’re looking for more sitting area inspiration for the home, be sure to follow my For the Home board on Pinterest for more ideas.